ASASS supports Asset-Based Community Development (ABCD). Essentially, we help with the sustainable development of communities in Burundi, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda through engagement, participation and education.
We identify what assets a specific community has and we help that community to use those assets to solve problems. We ask “How can community members combine their strengths and create new arrangements, new structures of opportunity, new sources of income and control, and new possibilities?”
ASASS takes action to develop the instruments and knowledge in these communities, so they can become fully engaged in the drafting of the present and the future of their country. We work to implement projects which ensure communities have access to clean water, food, shelter, schools, roads, electricity, clinics, coordinated services, family support and effective communication.
ASASS collaborates with national, regional and international organizations, in order to:
- Advocate for the legitimization and recognition of ASASS cadres, within the formal community development system to support registration, accreditation and minimum performance standards;
- Enable and support country leadership through a multi-stakeholder approach. National, regional or international coordination bodies, provide oversight in ASASS program implementation;
- Establish methods which are ethical, sustainable and locally relevant under a unified country policy;
- Develop minimum standards of training and continuing education, as well as necessary essential tools, under an agreed upon and unified system linked to accreditation;
- Maximize the NGOs role in supporting research, innovations, and developing cost-effective solutions to be made available in the public domain;
ASASS believes in empowering people to build stronger and sustainable communities. We focus on education, health, and rural youth entrepreneurship. Our proximity to the communities we help (especially in Burundi), allows us to collect constant feedback on the impact of our efforts, and monitor our work.